Live from Camp: Finally — a free day!

Editor’s note: Each day, one of our 11 student writers at June Intermediate Camp will reflect on life learning the journalism ropes at the University of St. Thomas. Come back each day to revel in the fun (and hard work) of being a ThreeSixty residential camper. Also, check out our student bios, complete with awesome headshots by Aidan Haarman.

I think today was one of the first days that I wasn’t a little bit tired. Considering that I woke up at 11 a.m., I got the most sleep that I ever have since arriving here. Today was really fun. First thing we did was have brunch, during which we decided to go bowling because the weather was not the greatest. Then, as we were walking back to the dorms, the sun started to come out and the clouds cleared up. We all piled into the van and went bowling, which was great. There were three teams and, in my opinion, my team (which consisted of myself, Briana, Kim, Bryan, and Deborah) was the best team. Bowling the first game without bumpers was quite the challenge. I maybe got two spares the first game and, of course, Bryan was initially a total pro at bowling, which declined as the games continued. We played two games with bumpers, which definitely improved everybody’s score.

After bowling, we all went back to the dorms and by then, the weather was really nice. Some of us decided to go to the beach at Lake Calhoun. Aidan, Kim, Amira, Bryan, Ricki, Deborah, Nichelle, Simone, Aamino, and I all decided to go swimming, which was really fun. Some tanned, some went swimming. There was a raft that was out in the water, and some of us swam out and hung out on to that. We played games, I got pushed in, I pushed Aidan in. I think during the time out on the raft everybody got pushed in at some point, whether it was intentional or not. We also played volleyball – the rules were pretty simple: if you knocked the volleyball out into the water, you had to go fetch it. That game lasted for quite a while. After we got tired of that, Deborah proposed a new game, which consisted of the players standing on the very edge of the raft, with their feet half off, and we all had to balance, and try to stay on the raft. Whoever stayed on the longest would win. I personally failed.

I’m writing this before 9 p.m., and we usually do our night activities after that, so I’m just guessing as to what we’re going to do. Considering the fact that we had quite an activity-filled day, some of us are tired, but others are probably going to stay up and watch a movie or play games or something. We always figure out something fun to do. It was great getting a free day from all the craziness that came with trying to get our stories written and the stress from interviewing and getting ideas and sources. Today was very relaxing, and it was nice to be able to TRY to tan. I’m hoping tomorrow will be just as fun, if not more!

Lana Rubinstein, Intermediate Journalism Camp ’13